Chef’s! Get ready for another “LeighCrews.com Only” exclusive recipe. This is medicine-in-a-mug with a side of comfort.
by Tina Martini, The Medicine Chef
If you have ever been to Italy, this treat is sure to remind you of their amazing hot chocolate, which is really more like a warm pudding. Delicioso!
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1/3 cup heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/3 cup Coconut milk
- 2 tsps Coconut-Palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- Chill beaters and mixing bowl.
- Pour heavy cream into chilled bowl. Start mixing slowly to add air.
- Increase mixing speed to medium high, turning bowl as you mix.
- Stop mixer. Add sugar and vanilla. Process until cream is in soft peak stage.
- Slowly drizzle in the coconut milk. Continue mixing until your cream holds a firm peak.
- Cover and chill until service.
For pure coconut whipped cream, purchase you own cream charger online or at a restaurant supply shop. Fill the canister with coconut milk. Secure the lid, aim and squeeze the trigger. Viola! Vegan whipped cream!
Maple-Glazed Coconut Bacon
- 2 cups shaved, unsweetened Coconut
- 1/3 cup Braggs Liquid Aminos
- 1/3 cup hot water
- 1/3 cup Maple syrup
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Place all ingredients except sea salt in a small mixing bowl and toss coconut to coat thoroughly.
- Allow to sit at least 30 minutes, or overnight, if time allows.
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cover two sheet pans with parchment paper and spray lightly with pan spray.
- Shake excess glaze off of coconut and spread in a very thin layer over parchment.
- Place pans in oven for 45 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Sprinkle with sea salt immediately upon removing from oven.
- Allow to cool completely.
Store Coconut Bacon in an air tight container for up to three days. I promise, it won’t last that long, and NOT because of spoilage!
- 1 cup Almond milk
- 1 1/2 Tbls Dark Cocoa powder
- 1 3/4 Tbls Coconut-Palm sugar
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbls Chia seeds
- Whisk almond milk, cocoa powder and sugar together in a small saucepan.
- Heat slowly over medium-low heat, whisking frequently. You want to heat and froth the milk to achieve the luxurious texture we’re looking for in our finished product.
- When the chocolate is just about to boil, turn the fire off and remove pan from hot stove grate.
- Whisk to cool slightly. Add chia and continue to whisk just enough to separate seeds.
- Allow to rest 3 minutes.
- Pour hot chocolate into mug and transfer any remaining chia seeds using a rubber scraper,.
- Top with coconut whipped cream and coconut bacon bits.
Phyto Facts – I have one point to make about the medicine in this recipe: brain power. From the cleansing of the neuro-connections in our brains, to the vessel strengthening power in the dark cacao powder, coconut and chocolate are a magical combination. And, I’m not just talking about taste! Every day we are seeing the successful march toward the abolishment of Alzheimer’s disease. Cases of severe and long term dementia are being completely reversed with the use of coconut oil in the patient’s nutrition plan. People crippled with traumatic brain injury are having their neuro-connections restarted. This research is very promising. Almond milk and Chia seed provide good fats; vitamin E, and Omega-3 fatty acids. All reduce inflammation and slow the effects of aging, particularly the aging that takes place in our brains. Depression, both chronic and acute, are related to inflammation. All of our star ingredients are high in the 18 essential minerals. Good quality sleep has to do with our mineral balance. So, you see, this really is a recipe for cerebral success.
Stay tuned for an upcoming, fantastic savory recipe, which also includes amazing coconut bacon.
|by Chef Tina Martini, “The Medicine Chef” @MedicineChef | Facebook
Chef Martini is an experienced, well-versed television personality with a successful and proven track record. She holds a doctorate from Bastyr University in Naturopathy and a Nutrition degree from San Diego State University. She mixes cooking with nutrition, fitness and wellness!