One year I decided I would introduce ALL of my group fitness classes to real pumpkin pie, made from scratch with fresh baked pumpkin. I ended up with LOTS of pumpkin seeds. Remember, chefs don’t throw anything away—so I came up with this as a way to use those jewels of phyto magic.
by Chef Tina Martini, The Medicine Chef
At the time I was teaching ten classes per week, so we are talking about baking for 500 or so people! What was I thinking!? These Pumpkin Seed Clouds are a perfect adornment for your holiday table and your favorite desserts.
- 1 cup Raw Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 Egg Whites, room temperature
- 2 Tbls Coconut-Palm Sugar (Brown Sugar works fine, too)
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp ground Ginger
- Pinch of Salt
- Prepare two cookie sheets with parchment and lightly coat each with non-stick cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Place egg whites in a dry mixing bowl. If you have a copper bowl or saucepan, use it for the egg whites. Whip the egg whites into a thick froth either using mixer or by hand.
- Add sugar and remaining ingredients. Continue to whip until soft peaks form.
- Fold seeds into meringue and spread a thin layer over both pans.
- Dry in oven 45-60 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Cool on pan 10 minutes.
- Carefully slide parchment off of sheet pans and onto the cooling rack, to cool completely.
- Peel meringue from the parchment and break into large pieces.
- Store in an airtight container.
Pumpkin seeds are very good at regulating and balancing our hormones; helping us to produce more good prostaglandins. These hormone messengers can benefit our immune system greatly. When an imbalance of prostaglandins occurs, many harmful processes begin to take hold. Fever is a good example of the “bad” prostaglandin response. Not that all fevers are bad. Fever in the human body can be both helpful and harmful. “Good” prostaglandins monitor our immune function, keeping it in balance. Too much immune response and we have lupus. Not enough and we have cancer. Pumpkin seeds keep the prostate healthy because they contain many of the phytonutrient family called lignans.
Egg whites contain riboflavin and vitamin B2, which turn food into fuel by converting carbohydrate into adenosine triphosphate, increasing our energy stores for use when we need it. B vitamins manage stress and calm the nervous system. Selenium is a mineral that helps us sleep deeply and deactivates cancer cells like no other mineral. Selenium is considered the “fountain of youth” mineral.
The spices used are all from Mother Nature’s anti-biotic and anti-microbial medicine chest.
The 8 Hour Face Lift
“Paint” a thin layer of cold egg white all over your face, neck, and décolletage . Lie down with feet elevated above heart until egg white is dry and very firm. Shower or gently steam your face, allowing the steam to soften the egg white and then gently wash it away and pat dry. Apply a very thin layer of moisturizer. Wait 20 minutes before applying make-up as usual. The albumin tightens the skin without pulling. The selenium draws fresh blood to the face and brightens the complexion. This youthful effect will last approximately eight hours.
|by Chef Tina Martini, “The Medicine Chef” @MedicineChef | Facebook
Chef Martini is an experienced, well-versed television personality with a successful and proven track record. She holds a doctorate from Bastyr University in Naturopathy and a Nutrition degree from San Diego State University. She mixes cooking with nutrition, fitness and wellness!