There’s nothing better for a Summer BBQ than baked beans. I won a “Sides W/ Spice” award for this recipe. The crispy onion topping is optional, although I think you’ll enjoy the texture contrast it creates.
The firm beans and rich, thick sauce really stand up to the onion flavor. It’s a match made in “Summertime Heaven!”
BBQ Sauce Ingredients
- 2 tsp. Safflower oil
- 1 c Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 large clove Garlic, minced
- 1/3 c Bourbon (I use Maker’s Mark)
- 3/4 c Ketchup
- 1/2 c Maple Syrup
- 1/4 c Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbls Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Chipotle Pepper, minced
- 2 tsp Adobo Sauce from Chipotles
- 1 Tbls Worchestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 15 oz. can Black Beans
- 1 15 oz. can Kidney Beans
- Ice bath the beans and drain thoroughly. Set aside.
- Heat safflower oil in a medium saucepan and saute’ onions until soft.
- Add garlic and continue to saute’ until garlic is soft and aromatic.
- Remove onions and garlic from pan. Set aside.
- SAFETY FIRST: Away from the fire, add Bourbon to the saucepan and re-cap the bottle.
- CAREFULLY tip pan to the burner and ignite the Bourbon. STAY CALM! Allow the alcohol to burn off. The flame will go out on it’s own.
- Congrats Chef! You just flambe’d.
- Reduce the sauce by half.
- Add the onions, garlic and remaining ingredients back to your reduction. Simmer 15 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Scrape your pan down, give a final whisk, and set aside.This sauce is great on anything!
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Stir beans into the sauce.
- Pour into 8×8 baking dish or a casserole of your choice.
- Top with store-bought crispy onions. (Health food stores have a “cleaner” version of prepared crispy onions, usually found in the produce section.)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until the sides are bubbly and it’s ready to serve.
Black and Kidney Beans are some of the most powerful medicine we know of. Lignans help the cells to assimilate sugar, so we don’t have the highs and lows associated with insulin resistance. The fiber and protein help us to manage our overall body composition. This type of complete vegetarian protein is much easier on the kidneys, in comparison to animal derived protein. Beans help regulate mood swings associated with premenstrual and menopausal symptoms. These phytoestrogens protect hormone receptors from damage, as well as strengthening the lungs and intestines.
This recipe is Delicious Medicine for arthritis, asthma, hormone imbalance and osteoporosis.
- Ice-bathing canned beans and vegetables not only rinses away excess sodium, it freshens and firms the product and helps eliminate the “canned” taste.
- If the Ogliosaccharides in beans cause you to be gassy, put a piece of Kombu seaweed into the completed beans and sauce just before baking. This works really well when cooking dry beans from scratch, too. Drop a 3″x3″ piece of dried Kombu, aka kelp, into your bean pot and you can say “BYE BYE!” to those gas causing sugars.
|by Chef Tina Martini, “The Medicine Chef” @MedicineChef | Facebook
Chef Martini is an experienced, well-versed television personality with a successful and proven track record. She holds a doctorate from Bastyr University in Naturopathy and a Nutrition degree from San Diego State University. She mixes cooking with nutrition, fitness and wellness!